Friday, March 20, 2009

So... I'm in Ecuador. Buenisima!!

So, for spring break, i decided it would be cool to go down and visit my brother in Quito Ecuador. Here are few words on how it's been down here so far.

First things first, this is the link to the video my brother charlie put together a little while back describing exactly what it is that goes on down here in Quito at Casa Victoria:

http://charbeck.blogspot.com/2009/02/right-now-we-are-having-great-time-in.html

My Story begins on thursday morning when I awake on the plane at 6am due to the sun hitting me square in the eye:

"Ahhh the gringito (little white boy) needed his beauty sleep." I was on the plane next to two nice, old ecuadorian women, one of which was commenting on the way i looked as i woke up. Both had finished the little continental breakfast that was sitting in front of them, so immediately i started to search the horizon of heads for the flight attendants. The cart was all the way at the front of the plane serving the first class passengers.
I thought to myself: "you know what? It's time to to do something that I've wanted to do my whole life. So i pressed the flight attendant call button. The next second, i heard the cluttering of feet and the next thing i know she was by my side saying "que necesitas?" Ha, in my dreams. It took more than 15 minutes for anyone to even notice my state of peril. Both of the women sitting next to me assured me that I would have a choice between the french toast and the omelette. Once the flight attendant finally arrived she assured me that all they had left was one cold omelette.. stokage. The funny thing is it ended up tasting a bit better than anything i've eaten at Seattle Pacific's Cafeteria...
So we landed in panama and at once i was hit with a barage of aromas and foreign noises (which i later found out was music) and it was all coming from a long isle of shops, some of which were giving out free samples of bailey and patron liquor. I was offered a few samples as i strolled by, but instinctively refused, becuase of the lifestyle expectations that all of us Seattle Pacific-ites are bound to: No drinking on or off campus even if you're 21 unless, of course, it's a family tradition...
The plane took off and I immediately fell asleep. When we were about to land i looked out the window and was able to see parts of Quito on the descent. After we landed, i skated through costoms and i was greeted by a man who was obviously trying to convince me to ride in his taxi. I refused his offer (ignored him) and continued out the exit. Now keep in mind, it was very loud in the airport and I can understand spanish pretty well, but only in bits and pieces. It sounded like he said something like "Man!... Car!..." Now this guy was very persistant; he followed me out the front door and i thought to myself "wow maybe this is normal in quito..." I heard what i thought to be my brother Charlie's laughter coming from some far off corner of the entryway, and sure enough, he came bursting out of the throng of people with his arms open, laughing his head off. I greeted him and told him that some guy was trying to sell me a ride in his taxi, and he laughed again. he said "Ross! that's flippin' Oscar! I live with him in casa victoria!!" It turns out oscar was saying something to the effect of "tu eres el ermano de Carlos?" So there it was, Man and Car all in one sentence. We continued to laugh as we hailed a taxi that would cost us a total of 4 dollars for a 20 minute drive. (Crazy!)

We arrived here at casa victoria and were greeted by about 30 5-10 year olds that all said "Hola! Como Estas!" in their high, squeeky voices. I met all the people who permanently live here, and there was also a group of about 10 "young poeple" who were on a missionary-esque spring-break trip from some private school in minneapolis. They painted a few rooms in the house which we later had to go over a second time becuase they "missed a few spots."
Seth and I (a good friend that Charlie lives with at Casa Victoria) went down to one of the many markets on the street and bought a bag of chips, some yogurt, and an icecream sandwitch for $1.50. "Welcome to South America!" Seth exclaimed, and we both remenisced about how amazingly expensive the US is in comparison.
A man who had lived in the house sometime in the last couple years was having a photo exibition, so we diceided to go and check out some of his work. A 30 minute bus ride (25 cents mind you) and a 20 minute car ride later, we arrived at the little gallery. After we looked around at Mateo's photographs, we found a place to sit at the restaurant inside the place, and ordered some MochaCheenos that turned out to be reaalllly good. We talked for about and hour and as I promptly feel in and out of a jetlag filled sleep. Mateo graciously drove us all back to the Casa and we went to bed right away.

The rooster next door woke me up at about 7am with the most hidous sound i have, and hopefully will ever hear a rooster make. Surprisingly enough, i felt really rested and i got out of bed and tried to read some of a book. and when i say "tried" i mean that i sat up on the balcony that over-looks the streets, and so many people were staring at me, you'd think i was a stuardess that gave them all a cold omelette.
Seth and Oscar made some of the most amazing breakfast I had eaten.. well i had never had this kind of food before. Fresh bread from Edwin the baker down the street with fresh jam, fresh onions sauted with fresh bell peppers and rissoto, and fresh eggs. The whole meal that fed 6 hungry guys was about 8 dollars total. Amazing...
We did some more touch-up painting and listened to some really good music that Daniel was pumping at full volume from across the street. He plays his music all day every day. Char and Seth said that i'll get used to it, yet every time it comes on they start mumbling under their breath in spanish about death... and music.. and daniel... Not sure what it all means...
we had some lunch and, once again it was like nothing i had ever eaten, yet I pretty much finished my whole plate which is rare for me in any situation.

A pretty gnarly storm started to brew and we decided it was going to be an afternoon spent in our pajamas watching some movies, eating cookies, and drinking coffee. After we finished relaxing, we went to a little restaurant "circe de un calle" and when i say "next to the street" i really mean almost on the street. If you weren't up on the curb underneath the little awning, you were GOING to get hit by a bus. The group of us that went consisted of Ediwn the baker and his wife, Charlie, Seth, Javier, Lenin, and I.
The meal started with Chicken Foot Soup. MMmmmm, no i didn't eat the chicken foot, i'm not that adventurous just yet.. The second plate that the little boy brought us had pork, beans, vegetables, and rice on it and they were so full of food they were practically overflowing..
we asked for a round of Cokes which, i might add, are a whole lot better than any Coke you'll ever get in the US.
When it was all said and done, the 7 of us, with one order to go for Oscar, the tab came out to 21 dollars. HA. once again, South America. Amazing.
We got back to the house, listened to some music (thank you Daniel), and here I am, typing about my adventures so far in this SWEET city.
Hasta Luego.
-Ross Martin Beck

No comments: